Our attorneys have experience saving homes for people in all different problems.  We can help through bankruptcy, litigation, and negotiation.  There are also other resources to help those who seek loan modifications.  Keith Karnes has lectured and written materials on this topic for the Oregon State Bar, Hope for Homeowners, and other events sponsored by government agencies in Oregon.

If you are in foreclosure due to errors by the bank or loan servicer please set up a free consultation with one of our attorneys right away.  When lenders foreclose due to errors that they have made we can help.  Examples of this are when you are current on the mortgage and the lender is foreclosing.  Or when the lender has force placed insurance when you have already insured the property.  Or when the lender pays incorrect amounts of property tax or misapplies payments during a chapter 13.  We have experience filing suit against lenders and obtaining orders from judges stopping sales in these circumstances.

If you have a mortgage that you simply cannot afford then you should speak to a HUD certified housing counselor.  To find a housing counselor who will work for free on your behalf click here:  http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm.

If you are facing foreclosure and you need time to catch up your payments or time to sell your home to get your equity out of the property then you can file chapter 13.  This will buy you time to catch up your missed payments or to sell the property.  One benefit is that if you have more than one mortgage and your home is worth less than the debt owed to the mortgage lender you can strip off your second mortgage.

Unfortunately, bankruptcy judges cannot modify the terms of a mortgage on your primary residence.  However, by working with our attorneys and a HUD certified housing counselor you may be able to file chapter 13 to save your home and give you the time you need to work with the counselor to modify your mortgage payment to one you can afford.